franz josef glacier is definitely a sight to see here in new zealand. it is one of only three glaciers in the world that comes down the mountain far enough that normal people like myself (despite that i appear to be a mountaineer) to climb on. gemma and i decided that 3 hours was enough time on a big piece of ice to pretend that we were experienced climbers. with crampons (shoe spikes), waterproof jackets, and a huge fanny pack (which they call bum bag because fanny implies something totally different here) we tramped up the glacier lead by our guide aj. we immediately ran into a stream flowing down the glacier where i conveniently filled up my bottle with the freshest coldest water i have ever tasted. after stomping around the ice for a while we found a cave that the guides had discovered that morning. aj suggested we take a crawl through the ice cave. with the words "you may never have a chance to do this again" constantly flowing through my brain, i jumped at the chance to surround myself in a coffin of ice. at the entrance of the cave i soon came to realise that it was more like a tunnel the width of my hips with a stream of freezing water flowing down the bottom. once at the entrance i couldn't back out so i went headlong down the tunnel of ice trying to enjoy myself as i crawled faster than i ever have in my whole life with my hood covering my eyes. once out the cave i had my friend gemma there to grab my hand and drag me out and tell me immediately to smile for the camera.
we are headed to abel tasman national park tomorrow which is famous for its tropical beaches and interaction with sea wildlife. there we will be dropped off in the wilderness, walk our way along the coast to a campsite, and in the morning be met by a guide and kayaks so that we can paddle our way back to civilization. i continue to perfect my tan.
17 comments:
Wowwewoewow! That is amazing...I could never have crawled into a cave not knowing what was ahead. I couldn't do it even if I knew. Makes my skin crawl places that small. I continue to be impressed! You look great! I love you so....momma
Hey you did you see anyone skating on that sheet of ice? If not, what good is it? Just kidding. You look so great in these pictures I think that this trip is worth all the problems you experienced at the beginning. Our Jenny is BACK!!!
Love you so,
Daddy Boy
So here is what I think you need to do: Bottle up as much of that water as you can, bring it home, & sell it for $5.00/bottle. You can call it J.Jo H20. When you talked about crawling through the cave that was hip width, I thought, "Well, I could never make it b/c Jenny's hips are so slender". It also reminded me of an episode of fear factor that I once saw. This girl had to climb into a dark cave with muddy water to retrieve something, however, at the "end" of the cave, there was a croc waiting for her!
So are you totally ready to climb Mt. Everest now...you are a total pro? You are still as gorgeous as always! We miss you & love you!
So my previous post posted twice so I removed one. I didn't want you thinking that I was posting profanity on your blog and then second guessing myself and deleting. Just wanted you to know! Still love you and miss you!
I am so bored at work that I think I have read your blog a million-zillion times! So if you don't find a nice NZ boy, there is a very cute & fun boy that I work with that you might be interested in. He is 24 or 25 I think but he is super fun! He lives in the Gold Coast in some fancy building and always give me his free Chicago Magazine that has all the latest fashions. Apparently, they pass it out for free at his building (too bad there are no maternity fashions) for all of the haughty-taughty woment that live there. He is funny & likes to have fun (he is always talking about his weekend outings with his pals). Okay... I will stop being the internet matchmaker (I am dying to show him a picture of you...but I haven't)! Just a thought though!
Jenny & Anyone reading this: IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED!!! NKOTB Reunion Tour this fall!!!
http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=0f7457f5-5114-4679-b47f-7343dba9b86e&entry=index&sid=rss_topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories
NKOTB are awesome...can't wait! Back to Jen...climbing through ice...wow! I love all the pics..so beautiful...I think we need to start building some mountains, ice caves, and ice bars in our backyards so you don't get shocked when you come back and we can put a few pinos back there too!
Sarah
I am going to have to remember to ask you what a fanny is there...am I the only one who doesn't know?...hmmm...that's something for you to ponder at work Sarah...or you can think about which NKOTB poster you will hang in your baby's bedroom...joey would be my choice for sure
Sarah
looked up fanny...definitely don't want to say fanny pack
Sarah
ooh fanny pack that's a no no- Sarah, never thought to look it up but now that I know ixay on the fannypay. Oh and I never get tired of these pics Jen!
So now I am going to look up fanny....sparked my curiousity! I will be back in a few to comment on fanny!
Okay...WOW! Well, I don't know what to say to the New Zealand slang, but that really brings new meaning to "Fanny Pack". Well, Jenny, stay safe and protect your fanny from the hobbits! We love you!
BTW...my baby has a fanny!
Oh & Sarah...as for the NKOTB poster...it would be Jordan no questions about it!
what!!!!!!!!!! a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
deleted comment, my fopas.
Hi, Emily, how are things in NEw Zeeland. Sounds like yer havin fun. Jenny is doing just fine back here at home. And, jackie, what is a fopas? Din't u take french at Marian?
The Man Who Is Uncle
Post a Comment