Saturday, March 22, 2008

the first and last time i live on a farm...


in between my time at the valley and our time in the camper van gemma and i stumbled across a few weeks of nothing to do except spend money. seeing as we both are short on cash we decided to put our muscular physiques to work for two weeks and volunteer on a organic farm. in exchange for your hard work you get accommodation and food.or feed as they call it here. with high hopes and toned biceps we set out for clinton, nz. well...umm....how would one describe clinton? lets just say every time we mention to a kiwi we spent a week in clinton theyeither respond with "where?" or laugh really loud.
when we arrived at the farm there were two other volunteers who just happened to be leaving the next day. needless to say we became the only wwoofers for the rest of our time there. the farm was owned by shaun and pia. shaun was from nz and pia from germany. he was a jerk. she was really nice. we were shown to our accommodations which was an old cow shed and quickly came to the realization that we were only given bread and peanut butter and jelly to eat on this organic vegetable farm. the two week stay instantly turned into one and my attempt to make it even shorter did not come to fruition despite my efforts. somewhere in between trimming acres of grass with a pair of loppers and shoveling loads and loads of cow shit i came to the conclusion i don't like volunteering on farms. for the rest of the week gemma and i would try and entertain ourselves in the afternoons by walking from one corner store to the other corner store. you always gotta have something to look forward to!
when the week finished we hitchhiked our way outta there as fast as we could. luck was on our side when it took only three rides (a high school boy, a mom and her two daughters, a stoned surfer dude that had a lead foot) to get us back to queenstown.
i am off to enjoy the beautiful weather in queenstown. happy easter! miss you all

5 comments:

bigmama said...

Oh my gosh...........hope springs eternal. Sometimes the way we think things are gonna turn out and the way they really are are very different. I still feel bad that I am the one who found that farm for you. So sar. Still, I am glad you have this story to tell. The pics are beautiful. Loads of Love on this Easter Morning, Momma

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny - did you like Nini's message. How is the shrimp gumbo down there?? Me, Mom, Kathy, and Sarah F. went down to the art institute today to see a show. It was a lot of fun wish you were there. I cant believe you had to eat stupid pbandj's the whole week- what the hell. I really like your pics and I hope you are partying it down now. Luv u talk to you soon

Sarah Joanis said...

Well at least you discovered that you were never meant to be a farmer on an organic farm. I wouldn't want to shovel cow shit all day either. My dad did that...boy, can he tell you stories about cow poop! Walking from one store to another doesn't sound too bad. Maybe you and Gemma should make instruments out of the grass and play on the street. People might toss you some coin! I think it is best that you just come home. Me, Kevin, and our avocado are patiently waiting! We love you!

Sarah Joanis said...

Oh...one last thing. I really hope that you fall in love with Pizza the cat! He is so super cute and I am hoping and praying that he and Mr. Man will be best friends soon. The initial introduction didn't go so well, but I have hopes for a life long friendship!

bigmama said...

hey where are you and where are more pics- what no internet on the road!?
the new kitty is hissing less at mr.man and they actually touched noses today....soon to be best friends! wait till you see Heather and Chris' new surprise...I LOVE You, Momma