Sunday, March 9, 2008

the group on the way to cathedral cove. left to right: bri, teresa, gemma, jen, rory, jenny, pino


much has changed here at the valley. since i last posted my trip has taken a very different direction, one that i am both excited and scared to embark upon. jon the director of tararu valley has put the volunteer project on hold, claiming there were not enough volunteers to meet the requirements of the valley's conservation needs. with this development he asked that the group leave on the 8th of march, leaving me with more than half my trip open ended. luckily enough i have made a close friendship with a girl named gemma from devon england who was also left stranded once asked to leave. we have made plans to explore the south island, starting in queenstown on the 12th, woofing on an organic farm in dunedin for two weeks, then hopping into our very own camper van for three weeks and making our way back up to the north island ending in auckland.
my time at the valley, although cut short has been one of the most amazing experiences i have ever had. i am not a stranger to being insanely dirty and tired from some good ol fashion hard work. i've had dirt under my nails for the past 5 weeks. i was infested by mites one afternoon after working on a pile of mulch. i constructed a chicken dome that will house chickens who compost our food. i woke up in the early morning to trek down to the chickens for some fresh eggs for breakfast. i slept under the most stars i have ever seen in my life. i learned i'm a pretty good baker. and i have made some of the greatest friendships. when i began at the valley the group was rather large but that quickly changed when several people left at once. this left a small group of us that became incredibly close. gemma from the uk, rory from scotland, pino from switzerland and me had more fun together than i thought possible. now that our time is over at the valley we are beginning to say goodbye to each other. it feels like your missing a limb each time someone leaves but that is the nature of the game.
i miss everyone so much at home. today was one of those days that makes you realize that traveling makes you feel alive but its not worth living if you aren't surrounded by the people you love.

11 comments:

bigmama said...

Jenny you look like you have been drinking from a bottle of good health. Be sure to bring some of that home for me! The countryside- do you ever forget how beautiful it is? I hope this next part of you journey is as much fun and as rewarding as the first. No worries about being surrounded by the people you love....I for one am hovering waiting to surround you! as always, too much love to write here in this little box...Momma

heather forever said...

Jenny, I miss you soooo much! When was the last time we went this long without talking? years! When you come back I'm going to kidnap you to roger's park where I will shut you up in my house and smother you with love and overwhelm you with chit chat..you'll wish you never left the wide open spaces of New Zealand, but that's too bad cuz you owe it to me and poodle to never leave us again (Chris and Georgie will be too busy making out to notice that you're here, they probably don't even realize you've left) Love and miss you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi baby doll, It does not surprise me that you have made a new plan and adventure when this change at the sanctuary happened. You have changed so much and look so good in your picture. I am so proud of you. Have fun on your new adventure. You might try the trout fishing at the farm you are going to . I hear that is the place for the best trout in the world! xoxoxoxo Daddyboy

Anonymous said...

You are soo cute! I am so excited for you as you continue on your adventure. Thats so funny that dad said that about the trout because I have had this incredible urge to go fishing lately! I cant wait to hear about this next farm. I hope you and Gemma have a great time. Everyone you should check out Devon, England- where Gemma's from- its really beautiful! Love you Jenny and I miss you so much.

Anonymous said...

nice moves jenny...
sounds like your having the time of your life. Me and Em wish we were there with you. I hope your taking alot of pictures. Cant wait to hear all the stories. Soak it up!

love ya ...

Sarah Joanis said...

Woo-Hoo! Jenny in the house! Great to hear from you and it sounds like you are having a blast. Looks like you got a kick-A tan too! I didn't see any Italians in that picture of yours, but you still have a few more months...although you looked quite chummy with Pino (is that the same as the wine?) When you get home, and you still feel the need to compost and dig, Kevin and I will buy a chicken and house it in our back yard...we will name her Maureen and you can come over and harvest her eggs and teach her how to compost food (Yes, we would do that just for you). We miss you like crazy & can't wait for you to get back! Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Jen you look amazing!! And it sounds like even though times have been a little crazy you've found a way to make it all ok...we do miss you and also hate you at the same time for being in such a nice place while we suffer through the end of the cold months here...I would trade mites and dirt for cold right now and I would even build chicken houses...that's what you built right? Hope you are safe on the rest of your travels and can't wait for the party you will have when you return...how about the Sat after you get back...anyone else free? :)Sarah

Anonymous said...

Alright so I am sitting here thinking about mites and maybe I wouldn't trade that for warm weather...Sarah

Anonymous said...

Jenny, AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!
Mites in the mulch, maybe not so awesome, but kinda..in a cool story forever kind of way.
Hearing about your journey so far and seeing your pictures makes me soo happy for you!!
I am glad that you have adapted your journey to keep it going. Now that you will be on a road trip..check out http://www.otago.ac.nz/courses/qualifications/pgdipnhfc.html
It is a school with a masters program in natural history filmmaking.
Can't wait to hear more of your stories!
Love ya! -Jill

bigmama said...

Right Sarah- cold weather-mites cold weather-mites...hmmm.
Oh man Jen that school that Jill (hi!Jilly) is talking about is in Dunedin! You should check it out when you are staying on the farm. Maybe you can stay in town after the farmers market for a day or two. Coolio! I love you millions, momma

Sarah Joanis said...

Okay...so the first time I read your blog, I must have just passed over the mite comment. Ummmm...HELLO??? How do you get rid of mites? Don't they dig into your skin or something? Are they like ticks? Did you have to light them on fire to kill them like you do with ticks? Did you have to bathe in tomato juice or something? Jenny...there are no mites in Chicago. You should just come home. Unless, the mite population in Switzerland is non-existent, maybe you could take a little side trip there and have a nice glass of Pino and rid yourself of the evil mites :)